Online meetings are becoming increasingly popular as more organizations embrace remote work, and for good reason. Not only can they help organizations save time and money, but they also provide access to a wider range of talent, open up opportunities for collaboration, and improve communication and productivity.
However, to get the most out of online meetings, it’s important to follow certain best practices. In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the best practices to ensure remote workers are getting the most from online meetings such as being better listeners, taking notes, conducting only necessary meetings, keeping meetings short, and more with tips.
Online meetings have become an essential part of the modern workplace. Not only do they help organizations stay connected with their remote teams and customers, but they also provide a great way to collaborate, share ideas, and make decisions.
In addition to the benefits of online meetings—such as cost savings, convenience, and increased productivity—there are also some best practices that should be followed to ensure remote workers are getting the most out of their online meetings. By following these best practices, organizations can create a more effective virtual meeting experience and increase their chances of success. Here are some key practices that should be followed:
- Being a better listener: Listening is essential in any type of meeting, but it’s especially important for remote workers who may not be able to physically see or hear everyone in the meeting. Actively listening to others helps to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard and that no one is left out of the conversation.
- Taking notes: Taking notes during an online meeting can help ensure that important information isn’t forgotten or overlooked. It also makes it easier to refer back to key points and keep everyone on the same page.
- Conducting only necessary meetings: Online meetings should only be held when absolutely necessary. This helps to ensure that time isn’t wasted on unnecessary topics or conversations. Remember, if things can be conducted through email, you don’t have to create a meeting for them. It will just take away time from getting work done and tire everyone out.
- Keeping meetings short: Online meetings should be kept as short as possible. This helps to keep the conversation focused and on track while also ensuring that participants don’t become distracted or lose interest.
- Maintaining focus: Staying focused during an online meeting is essential for ensuring that everyone gets the most out of it. This means avoiding distractions such as checking emails or surfing the web while in a meeting.
- Making use of video conferencing features: Video conferencing can be a great way to improve communication and collaboration in an online meeting. Features such as screen sharing and whiteboarding can help to keep participants engaged and make it easier to share ideas and work together. ProVideoMeeting has an array of features such as YouTube Group View and InstaSign to keep meetings running smoothly and efficiently.
Tips for Better Collaboration
In addition to following the above key practices, here are some tips for better collaboration during online meetings:
- Set an agenda: An agenda helps to ensure that all topics are covered during a meeting and that everyone is on the same page. Before each meeting, make sure to create an agenda that outlines the topics that will be discussed as well as any action items that need to be completed. It also helps when you circulate the agenda well before the meeting date at least a week in advance to ensure people come in prepared to listen and contribute.
- Follow-up after meetings: Following up after an online meeting helps to ensure that everyone understands their tasks and any decisions that were made during the meeting. It also helps to keep everyone on track with their assignments and keep the momentum going after a successful meeting.
- Use collaboration tools: Technology can be a great way to enhance collaboration during an online meeting. Tools such as shared documents, project management software, and video conferencing platforms can help facilitate better collaboration and make it easier for everyone to stay on the same page.
Online meetings are a great way for organizations to stay connected with their remote teams and clients. However, it’s important to follow certain best practices in order to get the most out of them. By following these key practices, organizations can create a more effective virtual meeting experience that will result in better communication and collaboration. By taking these best practices seriously, organizations can ensure they are getting the most out of their online meetings and creating a more productive virtual work environment for their remote teams.